Providing Assistance Before, During & After Hospital Procedures & Medical Appointments
One of the greatest challenges our clients and their families and caregivers face is making it to and from medical appointments, procedures, and hospital stays. The logistics are only one aspect; there’s also a need to have someone to comfort, calm, and advocate for seniors in the medical system.
Many Harmony Caregiving clients choose to have our health care aides and support staff provide medical accompaniment to and from appointments. In more serious instances, we also offer complete transitions from home to health care settings, and back again.
Having a supportive advocate and companion with you while you navigate the medical system is always beneficial. As an added bonus, Harmony Caregiving staff are medically trained and understand the complex ins and outs of the medical system. That includes medical terminology and conditions, options for care, and potential financial compensation and support patients can receive.
Do you need to make appointments and transitions more comfortable and convenient? We’re here to help. Call to book for your next appointment!
Wheelchair Accessible Van Available 24/7
Taking the Stress Out of Hospital Stays & Medical Procedures
Medical procedures and hospital stays are intimidating for many people. For seniors without friends or family nearby or available to help, it can be even more daunting. That’s why we provide an easy and reliable solution. Harmony Caregiving’s medical accompaniment services allow you to arrive at every appointment with all the support you need.
Here are some of the doctors’ appointments, transitions, and medical transportation services the Harmony Caregiving team will support you with:
- Safely and efficiently transporting patients to and from the hospital, doctor’s office, or pharmacist
- Emotionally support your family member through long wait times or extended hospital stays
- Offering guidance for individuals with dementia or confusion
- Documenting and relaying valuable information to family members in situations where a loved one doesn’t understand their diagnosis or has questions about their medical procedure or aftercare
- Picking up prescriptions, including consulting with the doctor or pharmacist on any medication instructions, contraindications, or side effects
- Monitoring the physical and emotional effects of procedures
- Preparing meals in accordance with dietary recommendations or restrictions, and assisting with feeding as needed
- Providing immediate care following hospital discharge
- Transitions from hospital to home
After hospital discharge, we offer additional services that complement Alberta Health Services offerings, such as:
- House cleaning
- Grocery shopping
- Meal planning & preparation
- Personal hygiene
- Medication management
In many cases, our clients want more support after a medical procedure or diagnosis. There are plenty of options available to make life easier and better for you. Our Certified Health Care Aides and LPN can set you up with a full, ongoing care plan for any amount of time.
Additional Care and Support for Dementia Patients
While an extended hospital stay is stressful for any senior, a person with dementia or Alzheimer’s disease is in particular need of medical accompaniment. In most cases, we see clients experience confusion, behavioural outbursts, and fear. Although doctors and nurses at medical clinics, hospitals, and nursing homes are highly competent at managing the physical and emotional health of dementia patients, they only come into the picture once the transition has been made.
Harmony Caregiving takes a more holistic approach to these transitions. We know the health and happiness of your loved one depends on a smooth transition. We guide clients to their new locations, taking our time to ensure we can manage negative emotions and create a positive experience. Sometimes that means looking after very small details, such as preferences for traveling and meals.
Our care team is cognizant of the extra needs of memory care patients during this time. We’re fully trained and prepared to help your family member during hospital stays, doctors visits, and medical procedures. Our hospital transportation and accompaniment services help keep your loved one safe and calm, no matter where their medical journey leads them.
We Excel At Keeping Your Loved One Safe & Comfortable At Home Or In-Facility (H2)
Whether your loved one is at home, in an independent living community, or an assisted living facility, Harmony Caregiving wants to help their transport and transitions feel more comfortable and safe.
Our medical accompaniment and transition service is only one of many elder care services we offer. You can also create a safer, happier, and healthier home environment by providing them with:
- Personal care, including bathing, dressing & grooming
- Washroom assistance & incontinence care
- Managing medications
- Housekeeping, shopping & running errands
- Online “family room” check-in service
From home care to transitional care, Harmony Caregiving is ready to offer the same loving care for your family members when they need it most.