Edmonton’s Senior Home Care SpecialistsFor seniors in Edmonton, private home care offers peace of mind. Home care services bridge the gap between independence and facility living. Staying at home gives seniors the ability to age where they are happiest, most comfortable, and most socially engaged. Many seniors don’t have relatives to assist them with daily living, and it can be difficult for them to ask for assistance in their everyday lives. Home care allows seniors to maintain their independence without relying on support from friends or relatives. For independent people who are aging, having a trusted companion visit several times per week can make a huge difference in their quality of life. Depending on their lifestyle, it also can provide them and their loved ones peace of mind. Home care also provides scheduled consistency in a senior’s life. This helps the aging person remain in control of their independence. Click Here To Contact Harmony Caregiving For a Complimentary In-Home Visit
What is Senior Home Care?More than a million people call Edmonton home, including more than 11 percent of people over 65 years of age. With Edmonton’s aging population, options for quality care including home care for seniors is becoming an important issue. Senior home care helps older adults continue living an independent life in their home for as long as they want to live at home, or for as long as it is safe for them to stay, or for as long as a family member can support them in this wish and decision. Despite age limitations, many seniors want to remain within their own home and they will do anything to ensure this happens, including do renovations, hiring someone for the things they once could do, but now cannot. Home care helps support them in what they need support in. Your Harmony Care Team can do just that, even after a senior is unable to fully care for himself or herself. Harmony is partnered with a number of community members who understand seniors, their challenges and is patient and supportive in the process while the client takes their time to make this very big decision. Elderly home care addresses the issues and obstacles of everyday living. The aging process can make it hard to live alone or with another aging person. Everyday activities such as grocery shopping, light housekeeping, cooking, baking becomes more difficult as physical and mental capacity start to progress. Medical appointments and medication management are even more difficult, both on the senior in question, and their primary caregivers, who are usually their partner by marriage, or other family members. At Harmony Caregiving, “home care” means more than these two words suggest at first glance. It means caring for the person and their specific needs within their home, using their personal values and goals as a guide. We don’t look at home care as just a service, and we don’t look at a home care client as just their Alberta Health Care number. Home care should be individualized to not only take into consideration the client’s needs, but also their preferences as a person. We strongly believe persons should have choices in the types of care and services they receive. To that end, we match our clients with Caregivers who have compatible personalities, shared values and interests . We take the time and effort to do this to ensure the development of a trusting, familiar relationship. Home care involves tending to all of the intricate details that make up a persons existence, from breathing, eating, sleeping, bathing, dressing, to loving others, expressing oneself and fully living. Home care also includes tailoring the schedules to the hobbies or interests that the client prefers, but may not be able to do on their own, such as gardening, walking, going for outings and entertaining/socializing in the comfort of ones own home. We hope the many services we provide help our clients live lives that are more in tune with their authentic selves.
Who Does Senior Home Care Benefit?Home care for seniors benefits everyone. It helps keep personal relationships free of the stressors that aging presents while keeping the senior safe, engaged and happy. The primary groups of people home care benefits are seniors, their partners and their families or family members working in a caregiver capacity.
How Home Care Supports FamiliesOften, family caregivers struggle to balance the demands of caring for loved ones while maintaining their own lifestyles and personal family lives . Home care agencies help fill the gap between loving an aging adult and becoming consumed by the rigors of caring for one. Our services allow you to provide loving care while remaining a joyful part of each other’s lives. Through in-home care, families remain free of the effects of being a caregiver to a loved one. Taking care of an aging loved one can weigh heavily on the caregiver’s mind, personal time, and even their body over time, and this is known as Caregiver burnout or Caregiver fatigue. Many caregivers experience problems in their personal lives after taking on the primary role caregiver for aging relatives. Private home care removes this burden and provides peace of mind for families wanting to help their loved one age at home for as long as possible. Home care helps families spend real quality time with that senior when it counts. When a family provides their loved one with home care, visits are no longer laden with responsibilities. Senior home care helps families by ensuring they can spend quality time with their loved one. Click Here To Contact Harmony Caregiving For a Complimentary In-Home Visit
Benefits of Senior Home CareSenior home care provides clear benefits for everyone within an aging senior’s life. While the benefits are many, some of the most positive attributes of quality home care are:
- Remaining Comfortable within Your Own Home: Having the ability to enjoy one’s own personal space is invaluable. Being able to come and go as one pleases, enjoy the outdoors as desired, visit with friends, and socializing with neighbours each day is life-enhancing. A senior in their own home feels empowered, dignified and secure. For a senior, keeping their space and lifestyle up to their pre-dementia, or pre diagnosed dementia diagnosis, enhances their quality of life.
- Companionship and Personalized Care: Caregivers are solely focused on the senior’s needs. This enables them to relate to the senior, becoming a trusted companion who’s readily available. Dignity is a huge part of any senior’s motivation to remain at home. Caregivers provide that dignity by being a trusted, reliable and trained source of comfort, assistance, and interaction.
- Versatility and Adaptability: Senior home care is adaptable. Caregivers can provide different services as the aging senior transitions between phases of life. Initial needs may include companionship and reliable assistance around the home. But later needs may grow to include medication reminders, running errands, and assistance attending appointments. Eventually, assistance with everyday activities like bathing and personal care such as toileting and/or incontinence care, may become necessary. As life changes, so does caregiving.
Features of Home CareQuality home care can provide support for nearly any need. The most common features of home care include:
- Personal Care: Bathing, showering, oral hygiene, skincare, incontinence care, dressing, grooming and other personal needs.
- Homemaking: General housekeeping, changing of bedding linens, laundry, dishwashing, plant and pet care, as well as other housekeeping services can be provided on a routine basis.
- Meal Preparation: Cooking and meal preparation as you need it include: meal preparation, cooking meals, consideration for allergies or sensitivities, consideration for dietary restrictions can be accomodated.
- Medication Reminders: Medication can be confusing and easily forgotten. Caregivers track medication use and ensure doses are correctly taken on time and according to the doctor’s instructions.
- Money Management: Assistance in financial matters such as taking prepared bill payments to the post office or ensuring bills are paid correctly on time.
- Companionship: Providing a friendly, trusted companions who can check in and ensure all is well, walk with them to the park, enjoy some sunshine outside, share a cup of coffee, or chat about the day’s news.
- Errands and Grocery Shopping: Running errands and attending to personal needs such as grocery shopping, personal care appointments, medical appointments, general errands and other excursions. Special attention is paid during cold, slippery Edmonton winters.
- Quality Assurance or Well Being Routine Visits: Regular visits to check in on the well-being of the senior. This can include anything from general check-ins, friendly visits, checking how the household is being kept, ensuring pathways are clear and rooms are maintained in an orderly fashion.